Front Hallway Demolition

The downstairs hallway project was started back in 2015, when I slowly began removing wallpaper.  It was only slow because it was adhered with straight adhesive on unprimed walls.  (Not because I like to work slowly.)  I spent about 25 hours two  weeks ago taking down wallpaper in the unfinished spots.  Plus at least 30 previous hours over the last several weeks and years.

I took down bits and pieces in two layers to get the full hall completely bare.  This is almost the last bit of wallpaper in the house.  (I love the eclectic paper in the kitchen cubby and I’m keeping it.)  Now that the paper is down, I can see raw horse hair plaster in some parts and what appears to be original paint in others.  Not to mention the original stencil border, which I love.

The next step is putting sheetrock on the ceiling.  We did this in a day, but plastering the seams and edges will take Bill a few weeks.  He can’t work on it everyday (you know, life), but it also takes several layers and dry time.

In the meantime, I have bond-primed the walls and Bill has applied the first layer of plaster on those. They will need a second coat of plaster, a second coat of sealing primer, and then at least two coats of paint.  The same with the ceilings.  It’s a long process.  I’ll purchase lights soon, probably to match the upstairs hallway.

And this work is only in the downstairs foyer hallway.  Upstairs hallway is a whole other process and a whole other post.